Staying Healthy During the Holidays
The holidays are upon us and it's time to celebrate with family and friends....and food! If you've been eating well this year, you might find it hard to stay healthy during the holidays. Here are some tips to help you stay on track and avoid any holiday weight gain:
- Don't go to a party hungry- try to have a snack beforehand to avoid being ravenous at the party.
- Stick with the dishes that appetize you. Trying a little bit of everything can add up to unwanted calories.
- Watch your portions! A serving of meat is a about the size of your palm. Pastas/rices/potatoes should be no larger than your fist.
- Fill your plate up with fresh vegetables. This will fill you up faster and ultimately be less calories.
- Watch out for sauces, gravies, and dips that can be fat and calorie loaded.
- Take caution in your holiday alcoholic drinks. They can also be fat and calorie loaded as well. Stick with a 5oz glass of wine or a 12 oz beer.
- Burn some calories by exercising the day of the holiday party! Even if it's just 10 minutes.
Join Fagen Pharmacy for a FREE "Healthy Habits" seminar this coming Thursday November 15th from 7-8pm at the Purdue Calumet Academic Learning Center in Crown Point, IN. RSVP to Lynn at 219-462-4381 x 12017. What a great way to learn the habits of a healthy lifestyle and jumpstart your New Year's resolutions!
We wish you a happy and HEALTHY holiday season!!
Add Your Voice!
We encourage our readers to comment on our blog articles and enhance the discussion. However, please be respesctful of others and do not post irrevalent or misleading information. We reserve the right to moderate your comments.